Author Topic: Sprite Sheets  (Read 2738 times)

norb

Sprite Sheets
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »
Don't see a place for requests, but I really think this is a big one.  The ability to load a larger image, but only draw, or create views, for portions of the image.  This is the one major issue that I have, everything else I was able to code for, but without sheets I have to load in over 750 separate images for my game and it's just too long for a simple game.

martol1ni

Re: Sprite Sheets
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:09:02 am »
Do you mind being more specific with your question? I don't really get what you are trying to do...

tim

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DragonFireSDK
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:41:41 am »
Hi, Norb,

You'll need to have separate image files for all of your animations, backgrounds, etc.

If you need to do a character animation, use a for loop and an integer array to store the image handles for each frame of the animation.

For example:

Code: [Select]
int MyCharacter[30];
char Buffer[100];

void AppMain()
{
    for (int i=0;i<30;i++)
    {
        sprintf(Buffer,"Images/MyCharacter/%d.png",i);
        MyCharacter[i]=ImageAdd(Buffer);
    }
}

Would this type of approach work for you?

Tim
Tim Sommers
DragonFireSDK Team

norb

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »
Yes, that does work.  But the performance for loading is much too slow and the game runs slower as well.   There is a great tool called texturepacker that takes individual frames and create 1 large texture and an output xml file with the output.  It would be awesome if dragon fire support something like that.  When you are doing a large amount of animations/character/angles you really need some sort of sprite sheet support.  I hope this is something that can be supported in the future.  I actually converted my PC game to use this tool (even though it was written for iphone dev) because it did such a good job of reducing overall video memory.

DeadSn0wMan

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:02:02 am »
Agree

chris

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:42:30 am »
We now have a thread specifically for suggestions. Please post suggestions and feature requests there, and only there.

http://dragonfiresdk.net/forum/index.php?topic=154.0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:00:07 am by chris »