Author Topic: Displaying a long list of words  (Read 2307 times)

stuckerj

Displaying a long list of words
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:42:51 am »
Part of my app needs to display a list of ~1000 words to scroll through for reference (yes, it's important).  The words are stored in SQLite, but I don't see any DB recordset functionality. 

I got it minimally to work with NoteAdd and a large scroller, but the Note is limited to 3000 characters, so it truncates the results.  (Should be about 8000 characters total, and could be more.)

Any thoughts on the best way to implement this?  A huge array of text boxes?  Stack up notes?  Are we going to bog the iPod/iPhone/etc. with 15K of words data active in memory all at once?  Or am I fixating on the wrong concerns, and should just stuff it all in memory and make it look good?

tim

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DragonFireSDK
Re: Displaying a long list of words
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:53:28 am »
The 3k limit in a Note is present on the Simulator only...  We don't put any artificial limit on the amount of text in a Note on the device.

Have you tried this on a device yet?
Tim Sommers
DragonFireSDK Team

stuckerj

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:12 am »
When I run it on the device, it doesn't show anything in the Note.  It's blank.

I'm thinking of extending a "card" metaphor I've already got in the app, and just create a stack of cards with 20 or so words on each, and let the user flip through them instead of scrolling through the words.  The more I think about it I guess it's not going to be a problem loading it all in memory, especially when you compare the size to other folks' stacks of graphics in their apps.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:16:51 am by stuckerj »

Nico91

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:51:46 am »
is there a limit on the device of 1500 pixel height?

tim

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DragonFireSDK
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:47 am »
is there a limit on the device of 1500 pixel height?

No.  But there is no device that has a screen size that big...
Tim Sommers
DragonFireSDK Team

Nico91

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:06:52 am »
yes but if i put the Note into a container and i move the container using ContainerSety(); i can scroll a long Note. But on the device i see a cut at 1500th pixel.