Author Topic: tile-based or whole background?  (Read 1729 times)

djbios

tile-based or whole background?
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:20:22 pm »
Hi :)

I've a background image and I have to scroll it, but performances, in the Dragonfire Emulator,, aren't good. The image is big (about 1000 x 1200): do you suggest to consider a tile-based approach? Performances would improve, in your opinion?
thanks
Regards
Riccardo

nednones

Re: tile-based or whole background?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »
You might find that there is no problem performance wise if you create the app and download it to your iphone? I've done similar things where a background image is moving in the background and the graphic update in the emulator struggles to handle it but on my iphone it works perfectly. 

djbios

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:57:52 pm »
Good suggestion :) thanks a lot

matthewsjc1

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »
You have to remember two things: First, the emulator is probably interpreted, as opposed to native, and secondly, it'll be limited by the computer you're running it on. When it comes to standardized systems like consoles and mobile devices, it's always best to derive your benchmarks from the system itself.

chris

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:59 am »
The simulator is not interpreted, it is written in native C code for Windows. However you are correct, you should always use actual device testing for benchmarking performance. The simulator is just a tool to make your life easier as a developer so that you don't need to do a device build every time you want to test a minor change. Major features should still always be tested extensively on devices -- this practice applies to any sort of development you do, not just DragonFire.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:48:24 am by tim »